In the modern world, we always rely on electricity not only when it comes to production, but also making life comfortable.
We need it to power domestic equipment such as TVs, Computers, Fridges, Air Conditioning Units, phones, and others. However, at times you may be the victim to random lighting strikes, power blackouts, and maintenance. When this happens, there is no need to stay in the dark; all you need is a portable generator.
Portable generators offer much more than just lighting your home, they are perfect for camping and/or outdoor activities. Some portable generators may seem more like a commodity, but their usefulness cannot be denied.
This is the reason we have compiled a list of the 10 best portable generators. Our aim is to provide aid in choosing the best for your needs.
- 1 Top 10 Best Portable Generator:
- 1.1 10. Best Cheap: PowerPro 56100 2-Stroke 1000-Watt Generator
- 1.2 9. Best for Boat: Honda EU2000i 2000 Watt Inverter Generator
- 1.3 8. Best for Home: Suaoki 220Wh/20,000mAh Portable Generator
- 1.4 7. Best Camping: Champion Power Equipment 73536i 2000 Watt Stackable Portable Inverter Generator
- 1.5 6. Best sump pump: WEN 56180, 1500 Running Watts/1800 Starting Watts, Gas Powered Portable Generator
- 1.6 5. Best small: Yamaha EF2000iSv2, 1600 Running Watts/2000 Starting Watts, Gas Powered Portable Generator
- 1.7 4. Best Budget: DuroStar DS4000S, 3300 Running Watts/4000 Starting Watts, Gas Powered Portable Generator
- 1.8 3. Best for Camping: Westinghouse WH2400i Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator
- 1.9 2. Best RV Ready: Champion Power Equipment 46539 3500 Watt Portable Generator
- 1.10 1. Best Overall: WEN 56200i, 1600 Running Watts/2000 Starting Watts, 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator
Top 10 Best Portable Generator:
The PowerPro 56101 gas generator is proof that indeed good things can come in small packages. The generator delivers 900 watts when it is running and 1000 watts of starting power. It is small, portable, and only weighs 36 pounds. The generator can be used for camping, tailgating, and even used in homes as a backup power source. This two-stroke power generator features an engine ON/OFF switch, a 12 Volt DC receptacle, a 12 Volt three-prong receptacle, a voltmeter and an individual circuit reset buttons.
It does not matter if you are going to a job site, camping site, or the big game, the PowerPro 56101 gas generator is what you need. It is easy to carry, and works perfectly. This generator surpasses both EPA and CARB standards. It includes spark arrestor, which makes it safe to use in forests and parks.
- It is very affordable
- It comes with a in-built voltmeter
- It is light and has a built-on handle for carrying
- It comes with a battery charging cable
- It is CARB and EPA compliant
- It has only one Voltage output of 120 Volts
- The pull start hub mechanism and handles are made of light plastic, and could break easily
The Honda EU2000i inverter generator is a super quite generator, which produces 53 to 59 decibels of sound when operating. You have to admit that this is impressive and the noise is much less compared to other generators. With this product, when camping, you do not have to worry about the noise and it affecting the serine surrounding the whole idea of nature. It comes with a powerful Honda GX100 engine with a 0.95-gallon fuel tank capacity.
This generator can operate for about 8.1 hour non-stop, on just one tank of fuel. It weighs only 46 pounds. It is also small and compact. The benefit of it all is that this generator is capable of delivering clean and reliable power that of a standard household outlet, using the inverter technology.
- It is durable
- Easy to store and use
- It exceeds people expectations
- Light weight
- Operating time on a full tank is too short compared to other generators
- Not suitable for high elevations or loads
Suaoki portable generator is like no other. It offers up to 200 watts when running and 240 Watt starting power. It is silent and offers zero emissions. Its power source is electric charge, which may come from a solar panel or any other power source. It does not require any electrical know how to simply charge the unit. If you are using it with a solar panel, then it is wise to use an input power that is equivalent to or more than 30 Watt.
Through its 20,000mAh high voltage battery capacity, this power generator has the ability to meet different electric demands, and it can be used almost anywhere without worrying about noise or pollution. This generator can be used to jumpstart your vehicle, use it for lighting under emergency situation as well as power up devices such as phones, tablets, camera and others.
- It is very simple to use
- Its offers both efficient power and inversion
- It is versatile and portable
- It comes with a high capacity battery, which is powerful enough to operate household equipment
- It provides a pure sine wave
- It is built like a brick
- Must be recharged using wall sockets or solar panel
The Champion Power Equipment 73536i 2000 Watt Stackable Portable Inverter Generator is perfect for camping. It is not only quiet and lightweight, but also a great addition to your RV when going camping. The inverter produces 1700 watts when running and 2000 starting watt.
Remember: This unit is not recommended for emergency home backup power. Moreover, it does not have the power to run an air conditioner, stove, sump pump, or furnace. However, one has the ability to connect it parallel to another Champion 2000 Watt Inverter to produce an output of 30A.
- It is quite, with a record of 53 db of sound
- It is lightweight (49 lbs.) and compact
- It has true sine wave technology, which shows it gives out clean energy/power to run sensitive equipment
- It is fuel efficient, with the ability to run for 9 hours non-stop with one gallon of gas at 25% load capacity
- It is CARB compliant
- Surge capacity is low, which limits usage on certain tools and appliances
- It is not as quiet as the Honda inverter
6. Best sump pump: WEN 56180, 1500 Running Watts/1800 Starting Watts, Gas Powered Portable Generator
The WEN 56180 is another portable and lightweight generator that is perfect for camping, job sites, and emergencies. It provides reliable power whenever and wherever you require it. It offers 1800 watts surge power and 1500 running watts. In other words, it is a powerful product with the ability to run your home microwave machine, TV, sump pump, computer, refrigerator, blender, slow cooker, and other home appliances.
If you need power when there is an outage, the WEN 56180 has you covered. It delivers 98 cc of power, with an internal cooling system. It is EPAIII and CARB compliant.
- It is equipped with a spark arrestor, offers low emission capability and operates quietly
- Comes with a low-oil shutdown feature, that prevents the engine from damaging
- It is very light and portable
- It is very powerful
- It is not the best for long-term emergencies
5. Best small: Yamaha EF2000iSv2, 1600 Running Watts/2000 Starting Watts, Gas Powered Portable Generator
The Yamaha EF2000iSv2 portable generator has the ability to run wide range of appliances for a long period, while still maintaining stability. It comes with a completely new controller with advanced programming, which gives its users the ability to power a much wider range of applications compared to its earlier versions or models.
It weighs less than 45 pounds, compact, and lightweight, which makes it easy to carry and store while going for camping. The generator can run up to 10.5 hours continuously without refueling and uses premium technologies to maximize fuel efficiency. Thanks to its innovative inverter system, the generator is able to generate up to 2,000 watts of clean AC power.
- Can power wider range of applications
- It runs quietly (51.5 db to 61 db, depending on the load)
- It comes with a smart throttle for maximizing fuel efficiency
- Can be connected parallel to another generator for extra power
- It is fitted with overload breakers and Oil Watch warning system
- It comes with a 3 year limited warranty
4. Best Budget: DuroStar DS4000S, 3300 Running Watts/4000 Starting Watts, Gas Powered Portable Generator
The DuroStar DS4000S is a great generator for camping, sporting events, RVs, Job sites, Home back up, and much more. This product has a 7.0 horsepower air-cooled overhead valve engine. It has also a recoil start that provides 3,300 constant running watts of power and 4,000 watts peak wattage. This makes the generator perfect for almost anything (i.e. the best for a various uses even in an emergency.
It can run for 8 hours continuously, with one full tank. It has been fitted with a 4.0-gallon fuel tank. When the generator has low oil, it will automatically shut-off to protect the engine from damaging. The power panel features the main controls, which include start switch, voltmeter, and a circuit breaker.
- It is a powerful product compared to many on the market
- Easy to start
- It features a low oil shutoff system and warning light
- it features a gas drain capability
- it is reliable and durable
- It is not quiet
- Inconvenient oil fill and change
- It is not CARB compliant
Anytime you want to go camping, then Westinghouse WH2400i, gas powered generator is the perfect choice. The generator provides safe and reliable power that can support sensitive circuits such as those found in a computer. Moreover, the engine speed of the Westinghouse generator is digitally regulated to match the load that is being used or needed.
You cannot get this feature on conventional generators, which run at a constant speed with no variation to engine speed. This makes the generator efficient, economical, and worth buying. It comes with a 2 year limited warranty and access to a nationwide network of support professionals.
- It is double insulated
- It comes in a stylish design
- Very efficient product
- It is a powerful product
- High fuel efficiency (11h at ¼ load)
- 2 years limited warranty
- It does not include parallel cable
The Champion Power Equipment 46539 is a portable generator one must have. This is because it comes RV ready. What does this mean? Well, it simply means that it comes with wireless remote start function, which means you do not have to be close to it. It is cost effective and convenient solution for power outages, camping, site jobs and much more.
The generator has the ability to produce 4000 starting watt and 3500 running watts. The remote start and stop feature works up to 80 ft. away. It comes travel-ready, with a standard 30A RV outlet, with enough power to power everything in an RV, including the cooling system. It does also make a great solution for backup power during an emergency and will power essentially all items you need in the power outage.
- It comes RV or camping ready
- It comes with a remote start and stop feature
- It is a powerful product, which can power almost anything
- It offers perfect solution
- It has the ability to run for 12 hours continuously at 50% load
- It is CARB approved
- Its gas tank is small for such a powerful product
1. Best Overall: WEN 56200i, 1600 Running Watts/2000 Starting Watts, 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator
The WEN 56200i is the most popular portable generator for camping. This is because it offers much more than simply electric power. Our research has proven that it is the best-selling generator online today.
The generator is extremely quite when operating, and it is comparable to the sound of a normal person conversing with another. This is according to the US Department of Health and Human Services. Apart from this, it is EPA III and CARB compliant. The Engine power is 79.7 cc 4-stroke OHV engine, producing 2000 surge watts and 1600 operating watt.
The WEN 56200i generator has been designed to mirror pure sine wave and this generator limits total harmonic distortion to under 0.3% at no load and under 1.2% at full load. This is the main reason, why this generator produces clean power that can be used on sensitive circuits like that of a laptop, computer, Phone, and even tablet.
The generator has the ability to limit its speed automatically according to the load. What does this mean? Well, it simply means that it will consume gas that is needed, making it economical.
- Extremely quiet when operating
- It is both EPA III and CARB compliant
- It is the perfect generator for camping, power outages, tailgates, and more
- It provides clean power that can be used on sensitive circuits such as computers
- It comes with two three-prong 120 volt receptacles, one 12 volt DC receptacle, and 5 volt USB port
- It is lightweight and portable
- It has an Eco-Mode Throttle
- It comes with a 2 year warranty
- Even though it has been featured with an Eco-Mode Throttle, the gas tank is small.
All the above portable generators are the best. Moreover, depending on the use and capacity, you can choose one best fit what you are looking for. However, if you are looking for something that can do all and everything, then it is wise to consider one of our top four generators. However, through this review, our aim is to provide helpful information that help you get the best.