Hiking can be a very strenuous experience if the backpack feels too heavy, further leading to back aches.
To avoid such miffing situations, camera Backpacks used for hiking are expected to provide maximum comfort to the carrier. Generally, exclusive camera backpacks made for hiking provides relief by equally distributing the weight over the shoulders and midriff. Also, they give easy and quick access to the camera gear.
Following are some reviews that dish out top 10 best camera backpacks for hiking & Travel, ranging from the ones that can be used for basic outdoor photography to the ones suitable for long-term hiking plans.
Some of them have basic features with affordable price while others are focused to provide power-packed features to highly protect your gear from any sort of damage.
We have reviewed more than 100 Photography backpacks and come up with best 10 top rated photography backpacks for hiking.
- 1 10. KAKA Hiking/Mountaineering Carry-on Bag:
- 2 9. DSLR Camera Backpack by Kewl Systems:
- 3 8. K&F Concept Camera Backpack Bag for SLR/DSLR Cameras Mirrorless Cameras (Canon Nikon Sony Pentax) and Accessories with Rain Cover:
- 4 7. Coreal Foldable Hiking Backpack for Women and Men:
- 5 6. Mengar Foldable Hiking Backpack – Superlight and Handy:
- 6 5. G4Free Large Foldable Hiking Daypack:
- 7 4. BESTEK DSLR/SLR Hiking Backpack:
- 8 3. Lowerpro 200AW Photo SportCamera Backpack For hiking:
- 9 2. Lowepro Photo Hatchback Camera Backpack for Hiking:
- 10 1. Earth Pak –Waterproof Bag for Hiking:
Made from high quality polyester oxford fabric, this hiking backpack from KAKA is certainly of high durability. It has 40L of capacity with the size of 20.5”height x 12.6”length x 7.1”width, amply large to accommodate all your necessary gear.
The compartments provided in this backpack are 1 main zipped compartment that can store 15 inches of laptop, 3 zipped pockets at front, 1 mesh pocket at side for bottles, 2 tiny strap pockets and 3 inside pockets at the large front zipped pocket that can store iPad, memo pad and a mobile phone.
Impressive feature of KAKA hiking bag is that, it can be used in 3 different styles. Use it as a knapsack, shoulder bag or gripsack. Folded flap at the top can be zipped down to cover the backpack straps, if you wish to carry it as a duffle bag.
The belt provided buckles up at the front and is adjustable up to 100cms, whereas the adjustable backpack straps goes up to 80cms. For shoulder bag, the straps can be adjusted up to 140cms.
- High quality polyester oxford fabric-offers better air circulation and durability
- Has a hybrid design; messenger bag, gripsack or backpack
- Shoulder straps, backpack straps and buckling belt are adjustable
- Water-resistant design
- Has padded main compartment for laptop and other gear
- Buckling belt comforts the strain on the back and shoulders
- The main pocket opens on the side, instead of top
- Rolled up flap provided is impractically designed
Exclusively designed for DSLR, SLR, Point and Shoot Digital Cameras, this Camera Sling Bag from Kewl Systems is an ideal choice when you don’t want to carry all your gear.
It has Padded Camera compartment (one without the battery grip) with addedflap system for security, Lens compartment (with divider for 2 small lenses), and other compartment to store mini tripod or monopod (can be secured with buckling belt), sunglasses, mobile phone, wallets, smartcards, extra batteries, etc.
On the side, there is a mesh pocket to store small water bottle. The Kewl Systems Camera Sling Bag has simple Swing-to-Front design for quick and easy access to your gear as and when needed.
It has an inbuilt rain cover and a large phone pocket for additional protection of your gear. Ergonomically designed high quality nylon fabric ensures durability. This product is backed with impressive 100% money back guarantee.
- Air mesh panels for shoulder and waist provide maximum ventilation
- Inbuilt rain cover and extra-large pocket for phone
- Swing-to-Front Design of the bag gives easy access to gear
- Padded Camera compartment with bonus flap system for safekeeping
- Tripod or monopod holder, sunglasses slot, bottle holder, smartcard pocket
- Backpack strap can be adjusted from 43 inches up to 63 inches
- Might be uncomfortable for petite size women
- Doesn’t have waist belt for added security, no proper weight distribution
8. K&F Concept Camera Backpack Bag for SLR/DSLR Cameras Mirrorless Cameras (Canon Nikon Sony Pentax) and Accessories with Rain Cover:
K&F offers this Concept Camera Backpack made from shockproof and 100% waterproof Nylon material for capable protection of your gear. It can accommodate 2 small SLR/DSLR cameras, 3 to 4 lenses and other small camera accessories easily.
For airplane journeys, this bag can easily fit into the overhead compartment of most of the commercial airplanes. It has a secure iPad compartment that can hold 10 inches of iPad easily as an added bonus. Front zipped pocket can store journals, maps, etc.
Ergonomically designed with lightweight aspects of K&F Concept Camera bag keeps the weight down for maximum comfort and relief of the carrier.
It has a completely seam sealed Rain cover to protect your gear from bad weather conditions. On the side, it has straps to hold tripod. Waist belt has been provided to equally distribute the weight for maximum comfort of the carrier.
On the inside, there are removable shelves and customizable dividers for well-ordered storage of gear. Main compartment has memory foam padding for added security.
- Backpack straps, main compartment and back support are all padded
- Airflow back design with multi-panels allows better ventilation
- Waterproof, shockproof and scratchproof design
- Two way zippers of main compartment can be code locked
- Ample amount of pouches, zipped pockets, compartment, straps provided
- High-quality made bag with Rain cover, great value for money
- Chest to Waist Belt provided, ideal for hiking
- Design doesn’t allow quick and easy access to the gear
- Chest strap is way too high
Made from high-quality Nylon fabric, this Coreal Foldable Hiking Backpack is highly water-resistant and scratchproof, promising high durability and comfort.
It is a 35L capacity of Full-sized backpack that can be folded into a Small carry case when not in use. It is designed to be lightweight, comfortable and compact.
The backpack is supposed to be top loaded and has a drawstring lock, which will provide you with more space for gear storage. In the main compartment, there is a fabric divider provided to sort your belongings precisely.
The main compartment can be closed with the top pouch provided, which has internal and external compartments to store additional small things.
This top pouch has adjustable straps to loosen or tighten the backpack, as and when needed. At front, it has an open pouch made of spandex, to quickly access things stored. On either side, there are pockets with straps to secure water bottles.
- 2 Hooked straps, 2 spandex straps to hang or secure your things to backpack
- Adjustable Chest belt
- Has 35L of capacity, can be folded into small pouch when not in use
- Lightweight, Waterproof, scratchproof design; protects from snow conditions
- Affordable price
- No hip belt provided
- Shoulder straps are too thin, not for heavy-duty loads
Mengar Foldable Hiking Backpack is manufactured from Honeycomb Ripstop Nylon fabric, certainly made for high durability. Its design is rip-resistant and water-resistant, to protect your camera gear in every possible way.
The main compartment is amply large to accommodate all your belongings with a zipped inner pocket to store small things. Front zipped large pocket for iPads, magazines, etc.; outer small pocket for books/phones and two mesh pockets on both sides for water bottles are additional benefit.
The Mengar Hiking Backpack with 35L capacity can be stuffed into the provided pocket, converting it into a small carry case. At top, there is a handle provided for hand-lifting, whenever needed. Adjustable shoulder straps have breathable mesh design for maximum comfort and easy carrying.
The product has been backed with a remarkable Lifetime warranty period. Stress points are backed with bar tacking for better endurance. Two-way SBS metal zippers of the backpack are durable and abrasion resistant.
- Chest strap provided to bring down the weight from shoulders
- Backpack can be converted into small carry case, when not in use
- Extremely lightweight; rip and water resistant design
- Made from high quality ripstop nylon fabric
- Ample number of pockets provided, 2 large mesh pockets with straps to secure bottles
- Excellent value for money
- Shoulder straps are not padded at all; not completely waterproof
- Main compartment doesn’t have padding of any sort
G4Free introduces this 40L extra-large Foldable Hiking Daypack that can be stuffed into a small pocket to convert it into a small carry bag. Made from high quality Nylon fabric, this backpack is highly water-resistant and rip-resistant.
The adjustable shoulder straps are padded for better support and comfortable carrying, both for women and men. The top pouch can be secured with the adjustable straps to loosen or fasten it, as per the requirements. On both sides, mesh pockets are provided to hold Sports Water bottles.
G4Free 40L Hiking Backpack has 1 main compartment with a fabric divider to store all essentials including camera and it can be locked with a drawstring.
This compartment is covered with top pouch, having interior and exterior pockets to store small things. Spandex pocket at front side is offered to quickly access essential things. The chest clip provided can be fastened against your body to bring down the weight from shoulders providing maximum comfort while carrying.
- Lightweight, compact, water-resistant, rip-resistant, durable design
- Amply large 40L capacity
- Foldable design converts backpack into small handheld carry bag
- Adjustable shoulder straps have padding for comfort
- Several pockets and chest belt provided
- Bottom of the backpack is double lined for better strength
- Hip belt is not provided, might cause back aches
- Not 100% waterproof
BESTEK DSLR/SLR Camera Backpack for hiking is made from high-quality canvas, is eco-friendly and does not contain any harmful chemicals.
Back pocketwith divider can easily store a 14 inches of laptop, front multiple pockets provided can store phones, maps, keys, charge banks, etc. The front large compartment is vitally for camera gear; main slot can accommodate lens (maximum 12cm of diameter).
Padded and flexible dividers in camera compartment allow neat arrangement of the camera and its other accessories. These dividers also act as a shockproof protector of gear. BESTEK Hiking Backpack is waterproof and is an ideal choice for hiking or other outdoor trips.
The side pockets can hold the bottles or tripod legs easily. The product comes with 18 months of warranty period, which is a bonus.
- Shoulder straps are padded offering maximum comfort for long hours
- Flexible dividers with padding provided to protect the camera gear
- Has back compartment with divider to store 14” laptop or big iPads
- High-quality canvas offers good endurance
- Several pockets provided to store important things
- Double zipper is covered a fastening flap for added security
- No waist belt and chest belt provided
Lowerpro offers this Photo Sport 200AW Camera Backpack for hiking that can easily accommodate a pro-sized DSLR with attached kit lens, flash, etc.
Ultra-lightweight design with high quality 70D ripstop Nylon fabric offer high durability and comfort during energetic activities. The Ultra-cinch camera compartment has ample padding provided to protect the gear and act as a shockproof shield.
This compartment is side-zipped allowing quick access to the user when bag is rotated to front. Elastic side pockets with straps hold water bottles securely.
The main compartment with drawstring lock has 13.9L of capacity to store all other essentials securely. Lowerpro 200AW Photo Sport Camera Backpack can also store 2L of hydration reservoir.
The back panel has airflow design for better ventilation and comfort. At the bottom, the compression straps and several attachments points are provided for tripods and so on.
The pull-out AW (All Weather) Covershields the entire backpack for maximum protection from bad weather conditions. Padded hip-belt equally distributes weight, ideal for long-term hiking.
- Thick padded and ventilated back panel
- High quality Nylon fabric offers high durability
- Shockproof and padded Ultra-cinch camera compartment
- Padded hip belt; chest strap with inbuilt whistle
- Multiple attachment points for accessories
- Included AW Rain cover for better protection
- Hip belt padding is too thin
Lowerpro, yet again, offers this Photo Hatchback Camera Backpack ideally made for hiking. It has 22L of capacity; the removable and padded camera compartment can hold DSLR with attached lens, 2 to 3 lenses, flash, etc.
The inbuilt memory card pocket is provided for safe storage of smartcards. Side mesh pockets can store water bottle or other gear securely.
An extremely impressive feature of this bag is that, it turns into a fully-functional daypack when the camera box is removed. Body-side, Hatchback opening allows easy access to the gear.
Lowerpro Photo Hatchback Camera backpack has multi-functional compartments for well-organized storage. The SlipLock attachment loops on both shoulder straps can be used to attach extra gear.
Padded front pocket can hold 11” of mini laptop or tablet. The pull-out All Weather Cover provided safeguards the entire backpack to protect it from any bad weather conditions. Back panel has padding with air-mesh design for better ventilation and comfort.
Adjustable shoulder straps, chest belt and waist belt provided equally distribute the weight to prevent back ache. Webbing grab handle on top allows handheld carrying of backpack.
- Backpack converts into Daypack
- 22L capacity, dedicated 11” mini laptop compartment
- Removable padded Camera box
- Shoulder straps, waist belt and removable chest belt provided
- Mesh-covered back panel
- Included AW Cover for maximum protection
- Camera compartment might be of insufficient space
Earth Pak Waterproof Bag comprise of waterproof and highly durable design. They are offered in different sizes, you can select any as per your hiking requirements. The 10L and 20L of bags have single shoulder strap that can be adjusted form 24” up to 42”.
The 30L and 40L of bags, on the other hand, have two padded shoulder straps with chest belt to take down the weight from shoulders providing comfort to the user’s back.
Earth Pak Waterproof Bags comes included with an IPX8 Certified 6.5” of Waterproof Phone case, meaning, can be submerged into the water without any damage.
It has a snap and lock mechanism provided to secure the phone inside and transparent windows on front and back.
All bags have roll top and buckle mechanism for its closure ensuring air-tight protection from water. Hardened D-rings can be used to attach bag to the side of raft/boat.
- All bags made from Thick 500D PVC material, high endurance
- Roll top and buckle mechanism give air-tight protection
- Waterproof phone case included
- Padded shoulder straps with chest belt for 30L, 40L bags
- 30L, 40L bags-perfect for long-term hiking
- Exceptional value for money
- Shoulder straps might wear away after repeated use
- See also: Best Rock Climbing Shoes
What makes a perfect Camera Backpack for Hiking?
Check whether the compartments provided offer dividers to separate the camera gear from other gear for complete protection of your expensive equipment.
An ideal camera backpack is the one which equally distributes the weight all across the back and shoulders, preventing from shoulder/back aches.
Camera compartment and other Laptop compartment (if provided) that have thick padding will act as a shockproof and wear-resistant design, much needed for vigorous activities like hiking.
Other compartments or pockets provided for your accessories, clothes, are certainly a perk.
A perfect size of bag is a must for accommodating all your belongings. 14L to 35L capacity of backpacks are perfect for one day hiking plans whereas above 65L capacity is ideal for long-term hiking.
Things to consider before buying a Camera Backpack for Hiking:
- Comfort:The padded shoulder straps with waist and chest belt provided will offer relief to the shoulders and back. You will feel comfortable to carry the backpack for long hours. Also, the ventilated back and shoulder panels are necessary for breathability and preventing you from over-sweating.
- Fit: Make sure the bag you are planning to purchase is perfect for your size of body and your camera gear size as well.
- Camera Gear: The bag you are planning to buy must hold all your camera gear capably like Camera body, extra lenses, flash, memory cards, etc.
- Weight of backpack: Carrying too heavy backpacks can lead to aching back and shoulders, which is certainly a turn off for hiking. So, the backpack with lightweight design should be perfect for hiking.
- Carrying water: A backpack that provides pocket for hydration reservoir and water bottles is always a bonus. Water is very essential to keep you hydrated and fresh during hiking, as sweating can cause dehydration.
- Rain Cover: The expensive camera gear must be protected from any weather conditions like rain, snow, sand, etc. An included rain cover will proficiently protect these gears, preventing any sort of damage.
- Attachment straps: The attachment straps provided on the backpack always come handy to hang other essential accessories and quickly have access to them.
- Colour: The colour of the backpack also gives out its quality. A good colour will add grace to your looks.
- Price: The price of the backpack should not dig a hole into your pocket, although some of the exceptionally featured bags are worth every penny.
Above mentioned top 10 Best Camera Backpacks for hiking, each have some unique and extraordinary features provided, suitable for different hiking experiences. Some of them are best for low-duty use and one day hiking activities, whereas others are highly durable and are specifically made for long-term hiking plans.
They are all offered in different prices, features, colours, materials and varied strengths. As per your budget you can select the one that suits your requirements best. Make sure to consider the size of your camera gear before making the decision of buying any camera backpack to avoid any sort of inconvenience.