If you like to bake cookies, cakes, pies, or make bread, then a mixer is an essential kitchen tool. While you can mix ingredients by hand, a mixer can get it done faster, and you won't wear out your arm trying to achieve the perfect meringue for a pie. Use this information to find the best one for your kitchen needs.
Using Hand Mixers
When you search for a mixer to use in your kitchen, you will come across two types: stand mixers and hand mixers. While they can some of the same tasks, a stand mixer is for more high duty tasks like making bread dough or making more than two or three items at once.
A hand mixer is for smaller tasks like making cakes, cookies, beating eggs or egg whites, and making biscuits or cornbread. It isn't meant for heavy-duty tasks like mixing dough for bread. A hand mixer usually has three to nine settings, although only three are necessary: slow, medium, and high.
The slow setting prevents dry ingredients from flying out of the bowl when you're mixing them, and then as you add liquid, you can gradually increase the speed. Mixers with five, seven or nine-speed settings go from slow to very fast. Some mixers have a turbo speed to shorten the amount of time it takes to mix ingredients.
There are a variety of foods you can use a hand mixer to make, including:
- Pie Dough
- Cookie Dough
- Salad Dressings
- Egg Whites
Hand mixers usually come with beater attachments, a cord, and storage box. However, some models may also provide a whisk and dough hook attachments. A good quality hand mixer may cost around $ to $, while a stand mixer can cost up to $$$ or more.
To help you choose a hand mixer for your kitchen, we’ve reviewed the top 10 choices and rated them from one to five stars, with five being the best.
How We Choose the Ratings
To rate each hand mixer in our top 10, we reviewed their features and read testimonials and reviews from people who bought them. Based on this information, we assigned each mixer a star rating. The rating helps you quickly find the best mixers in this category.
Top 10 Hand Mixers
Here are the hand mixers that made the top 10 list:
Breville BHM800SIL Handy Mix Scraper Hand Mixer
- BEATER IQ TECHNOLOGY: Whether you’re whisking cream or kneading dough, the Handy Mix Scraper detects which attachment...
- QUIET SCRAPER BEATERS: No clinging or clanging in your kitchen. The rubber Scraper Beater maximizes contact with the...
- 9 SPEED SETTINGS: 9 speeds plus boost to ensure precise speed for your mixing load.
The Breville BHM800SIL hand mixer has nine speeds that the user can change by using the scroll wheel. The display on the top section of the handle shows which speed you’re using, the type of attachment, and the time.
The mixer has “Beater IQ” that automatically recognizes the attachment that the user inserts into it and adjusts the speeds accordingly. When mixing in a bowl, a light helps you see the ingredients as you combine them. The beating attachments scrape the sides of it without making irritating clanging noises.
If you are cooking or baking something that calls for a precise mixing time, it has a count-up timer to provide time control. Its 240-watt motor is powerful but runs quietly at all speeds. The power cord swivels to keep it out of the way. The mixer comes with a storage case to organize the mixer and attachments.
Cuisinart HM-90S Power Advantage
Plus 9-Speed Handheld Mixer
- Handheld mixer with 220-watt motor and automatic feedback
- Simple on/off button; 1-touch speed control and 9 speed options,BPA Free
- 3 low start speeds to prevent ingredients from splattering; snap-on clear storage case
Cuisinart makes many kitchen tools and small appliances, including the HM-905 9-speed hand mixer. It runs on a 220-watt motor with the press of a button controlling the speed of the mixer. Three of the nine speeds are slow to keep ingredients from splattering when you start mixing them.
There is an LED display that tells you which speed the mixer is using. The On/Off button is above it, and a + and – sign below the display controls the speed. The mixer includes beater, whisk, and dough hook attachments, a spatula, and it comes with a snap-on storage case. It is available in chrome or white.
KitchenAid KHM7210CU 7-Speed Hand Mixer
- 7 Speeds: Combine ingredients at speed one for slowly stirring in chunky ingredients, speed four for mashing potatoes,...
- Soft Start Feature brings the beaters up to the selected speed gradually to help prevent ingredients from splattering
- Lock the cord into either the left or right side of the mixer so you can approach ingredients from any angle. The round...
KitchenAid has a long history of making small appliances for the kitchen, including stand and hand mixers. Their KHM7210CU hand mixer has seven speeds with a Soft Start feature to keep ingredients from flying out of the bowl. A bar display lets you know which speed you’re using, with buttons to change speeds.
The cord can be locked to the left or right to keep it out of your way when mixing. It comes with beaters and a whisk attachment that can be unlocked from the mixer with the touch of a button. The handle has a soft grip, so it is comfortable to use when mixing ingredients. The mixer is available in six colors: black, white, dark gray, red, green apple, and silver.
KitchenAid KHM926CA 9-Speed Hand Mixer
- 9 Speeds: Combine ingredients at speed one for slowly stirring in chunky ingredients, speed six for mixing bread batter...
- Soft Start Feature brings the beaters up to the selected speed gradually to help prevent ingredients from splattering.
- Lock the cord into either the left or right side of the mixer so you can approach ingredients from any angle. The round...
This KitchenAid hand mixer has nine speeds, including their Soft Start feature that allows users to start out slow and gradually increase the speed to prevent spillovers. To change speeds, just press the up or down arrows on the handle. The digital bar will indicate which one it is on.
Its round cord is easy to clean, and it locks to the left or right of the mixer, so it stays out of the way while you’re making something delicious. This model comes with beaters, a whisk, a mixer, and dough hook attachments. When finished using the mixer, press a button to remove the attachments from the mixer easily.
It has a soft grip handle, and the mixer is available in five colors: Candy Apple Red, Silver, Empire Red, Black, and White. KitchenAid provides a one-year limited warranty on this hand mixer.
VonShef 250W Hand Mixer
A 250-watt motor runs this five-speed hand mixer. Along with the five speeds, which users can change by turning a switch with their thumb while operating the mixer, it also has a turbo feature for very quick mixing.
It comes with stainless steel beaters, dough hooks, and a whisk. After the mixing is done, the attachments can be taken out of the mixer by pressing the "Eject" button on the handle. The eject feature prevents the messes that occur when you remove them manually. The mixer is available in light blue or cream.
Black & Decker 6-Speed Hand Mixer
- Attachments - Tackle a number of kitchen tasks with two professional-style wire beaters, one whisk, and two dough hooks....
- Full-Size Storage Case - The hard-shell storage case keeps the mixer and all its attachments in one spot
- 250-Watt Motor - This powerful motor has 6 speeds so you can start slow and finish fast
Although Black & Decker is a company known for its hand tools, they also make small appliances like this six-speed hand mixer. It runs on a 250-watt motor that allows users to start 20% slower than other Black & Decker hand mixers and it finishes fast. Changing the mixer speed can quickly be done with a thumb while using it.
The mixer also has a turbo boost button to allow it to run at maximum speed. The attachments include two wire beaters, two dough hooks, and a whisk. It comes with a hard storage case for the mixer and attachments.
Ovente 5-Speed Ultra Power Hand Mixer
- 5 MIXING SPEEDS – The Ovente HM161 Series Hand Mixer has a sliding speed selector wheel with 5 mixing speeds to help...
- POWERFUL 150-WATT MOTOR – Smoothly blends ingredients with its 150-Watt motor power.
- ALL-AROUND CHROME BEATERS – Comes with 2 chrome beaters that are ideal for mixing different ingredients, such as egg...
The five-speed Ovente hand mixer has a 200-watt motor that powers it. Changing the speeds is done with the large rotating wheel on top of the handle. The handle has an ergonomic design, so the mixer is comfortable to hold and reduces hand fatigue while mixing a recipe.
The hand mixer comes with two chrome beaters and a clear plastic storage case. After using the mixer, clean-up is easy because the beaters are ejected from it with the touch of a button. They can be hand washed or put in a dishwasher. Use a damp, soft cloth to clean the hand mixer. It is available in black or white.
Hamilton Beach 62682RZ Hand Mixer
- Mix with ease: With 6 speeds, including the quickest button, you can adjust this kitchen mixer to accommodate any baking...
- Easy to handle: With 250 watts of peak power hand mixer.
- Bowl rest feature: A built-in groove lets you rest the hand mixer over the bowl, so drips go where they belong and not...
The Hamilton Beach 62682RZ is an inexpensive medium-sized hand mixer that runs on a 250-watt motor. It has six speeds and a "QuickBurst" button when you need more power to mix ingredients. It comes with two traditional beaters and a whisk attachment.
It has a bowl rest feature that balances the mixer on the edge if a bowl. This feature can prevent dripping the ingredients on the counter while you’re getting something else out for a recipe. The mixer has a snap-on storage container for the attachments and power cord, so everything is easy to find when you need it.
Aicok 6-Speed Electric Hand Mixer
- For a safer and healthier lifestyle, AICOK staninless steel hand mixer made with the finest quality metal material to...
- 6 Speed + Turbo Function - equipped with 1 to 6 different speed settings and turbo function allows you to achieve high...
- Stainless steel attachment - This hand mixer includes 4 stainless steel attachments, two dough hooks for whipping dough,...
The Aicok hand mixer runs on a 250-watt motor that powers its six speeds. It is made from lightweight stainless steel, so it not only looks modern, but the ergonomic shape of the handle prevents hand fatigue while it’s in use.
It has two beater and two dough hook attachments, which can be detached from the mixer with the “Eject” button on top of the handle. It also has a turbo button to mix ingredients at the maximum speed when necessary. The speeds are easy to change with the rotating wheel. Aicok offers a two-year warranty on this equipment.
Black & Decker Lightweight Hand Mixer
- Professional-Style Beaters - The durable beaters work through all types of batters, sauces, and doughs. Removable for...
- 5 Speeds + Power Boost
- Comfort Grip - The lightweight mixer features an ergonomic grip for comfortable operation
This small Black & Decker hand mixer runs on 175 watts of power. It has five speeds and a power boost feature that helps the mixer get through thick ingredients, such as those for cookies. It’s designed with an ergonomic grip to prevent hand fatigue.
The mixer can rest on the edge of a bowl or stand up on its end on a counter. It comes with two beater attachments, which are dishwasher safe.
Buyers Guide for Hand Mixers
When looking for the best hand mixer for smaller kitchen tasks, such as making a cake using a mix, there are several features to consider.
Look for hand mixers that feature a slow start setting to prevent ingredients from flying about when you start mixing. Then, you can gradually increase the speed to smooth out any lumps or to bring everything together before cooking or baking the recipe.
A handle should fit comfortably in your hand to prevent hand and arm fatigue. Many mixers come with soft grips to make them easier to hold to while mixing, so your hand doesn't get sore. The mixer should also feel balanced while using it.
Select a hand mixer with higher wattage to provide the power to mix ingredients for soups, cookies, cakes, and cornbread. A 250-watt mixer will have enough power to mix almost anything. Usually, the more powerful motors will provide more speed.
The mixer you choose should at least have beater attachments to mix ingredients. However, many mixers come with dough hooks and whisk attachments as well. Instead of traditional beaters, look for wire beaters because they are easier to clean.
Also, consider the beater attachments size. The larger the beaters are, the faster the ingredients will finish mixing.
Look for a hand mixer that is made from lightweight materials. If it is too heavy, then your arm can easily tire if you have a lot of baking to do. However, the wattage is more important than the weight of the mixer, so try to find one that is powerful but lightweight too.
The hand mixers we reviewed have different price points, from less than $ to over $$. Shop for mixers by their power output first, and then you can consider the price. A $ mixer with low wattage won't be good for much more than mixing pudding. However, you may find one that is both inexpensive and powerful.
Even though this feature isn't essential, it makes clean up easier after you're done with the mixer. It releases the attachments with the press of a button, so you don't need to pull them out manually. This button can keep the mixture from splattering when you remove them.
With this information and the reviews of the 10 hand mixers, you should be able to find the best hand mixer for your cooking and baking needs. They can be bought at most retail department stores, online, or anywhere else that sells small kitchen appliances.