Car Cameras or dash cameras are small, cost effective video cameras which are one of the important devices useful for a driver. A car cam records the view of road from the Dashboard of the car. This tool is mostly used by police cars, for new learners to track their progress, for recording any adventurous road trip or showing off your driving skills, or to capture any unexpected event like accident or anything strange happening on road. It can also be helpful to track or record any parking incident.
There is large variety of Car cameras available in the market to choose from wide price range, but following are the best 10 car cams which must be taken into consideration before buying a new car cam. So Let us first see few products and their pros and cons and then draw a conclusion.
What is in Car Camera?
A dash cam or car cam is mounted on your dashboard with suction cup mount. It is a battery powered device hardwired into your vehicle. The cameras come in every conceivable configuration, from a single lens to multiple lenses allowing for simultaneous front and rear recording. Most dash cams simply plug in to power, automatically start when your car does and record video onto removable storage.
Top 10 Best in Car Camera reviews
Vantrue X1 Car Dash Cam is a great cam with full HD 1920X1080 recording and many more additional features like parking mode (which helps record any movement within 10 meters radius), video looping (it overwrites the latest video with the oldest when the memory card is full), good quality audio. It has great design and has a unique look which is suitable for almost every car. It can support upto 64GB memory card. It has HDR and Night vision modes along with the Parking mode and a G-Sensor.
- Audio recording is possible.
- It has an excellent video quality
- Display screen is good
- Can’t attach to dashboards without any Adhesive Mounting Disk
- Battery fails very shortly in hot temperature.
YI 2.7″ Screen Full HD 1080P60 165 Wide Angle Dashboard Camera with 74g weight, Car DVR Vehicle Dash Cam with G-Sensor, WDR (Wide dynamic range), Loop Recording, Grey. It is a budget car camera with all the essential features. The presence of Suction mount makes it more attractive for such a low price.
- It is a low priced car camera
- It offers a great video quality due to higher resolution
- Built in Wi-Fi
- Suction mount is present to attach the camera to the windshield
- It has Additional safety features (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems)
- There is micro USB port for charging and data transfer
- There is no built in GPS
- Menu is available only in Chinese language
- Low battery capacity of only 240 mAh
Falcon Zero Touch PRO HD Dash Cam [TOUCH SCREEN] 1080p 24/7 Surveillance, Multi Vehicle Use, 32 GB SD Card Included. It is made up of hi-tech 6 glass lenses and works on WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) technology. The mount is a docket station which eases out hooking and unhooking without any cable unplugging. You can see what is getting recorded via its 4” touch screen. It has user friendly menu layout. It is easy to install and does not require any plug-in to make installation easy and quick.
- Built in GPS
- It supports full HD video recording
- It has G Sensor which sends the device to record mode when there is some unusual activity in the vehicle
- It has touch screen display
- 24/7 Surveillance i.e. the camera will be on even after you turn off the vehicle
- Photos or Videos can be played without connecting to any external device
- Being touch screen, it might not respond to your commands if you are wearing gloves or your finger tips are very cold etc.
Street Guardian SG9665GC v3 2017 edition + 32GB microSD Card + CPL + USB/OTG Android Card Reader + GPS, Supercapacitor Sony Exmor IMX322 WDR CMOS Sensor DashCam 1080P 30FPS (Best Of – DashCamTalk). It is small size (72mm X 52mm X 43mm) car camera with 74g weight. It has a 1.5” screen. It sticks to the wind shield using an adhesive 3M pad eliminating the need for a mount. It can operate between temperature: -10oC to 60oC. There is enough space on the sides which enables you to retrieve and insert SD card without removing the camera from the mount. High quality day and night vision with more clarity.
- High quality night vision
- Clear picture even in fog and during light rains.
- G sensor and loop recording
- It has super capacitor instead of battery
- Excellent customer service
- It is a high priced car cam.
- GPS sensor not built in.
- Plug-in using computer USB port is not possible.
Action Sports Car Dash Cam Wifi – Produtrend Video ActionCam 120 Degree Wide Angle Lens Full HD Camcorder 1920 x 1080P 8 Megapixel CMOS Sensor – Timer, Time Lapse, Loop Recording. It has re-chargeable Lithium ion Battery. It weighs 36 g without battery. The Camcorder can be operated using an application. It can be attached to car or helmet. And it even works great for outdoor sports as well. It works for both IOS and Android. Audio recordings are not clear.
- It has a built in Wi-Fi
- It is reasonably priced
- It is a Lightweight camcorder
- Longer lasting battery
- It is Waterproof (Hence effective during rains)
- CMOS sensor
- Live videos can be shared with the help of wireless network connections (Live streaming)
- Good quality night time recording can be done
- Bad quality microphone (for audio recordings)
Z-Edge Z3 3-Inch 2K Ultra Full HD1296P 2560×1080 Car Dash Cam with 32GB Card & Parking Monitor and 63.5g weight. It has many features like G sensor, date/time stamp, automatic safeguards (records automatically during vehicle ignition and switches off automatically with ignition off) etc.
- It is easy to operate
- Good day time video quality
- Automatic crash or motion or vibration detection
- CMOS image sensor
- Monitoring while parking can be done
- 24/7 Surveillance i.e. the camera will be on even after you turn off the vehicle
- It has a low battery capacity
- Night video quality depends on the lighting (Generally not good)
- It does not have GPS or Wi-Fi
Ausdom AD282 Dash Cam 2.4″ LCD Car DVR Video Recorder with 1296 P Ambarella A7LA50 Camcorder Vehicle Camera and dimensions (70mm X 63mm X 31mm). Its smart design gives you a great view of everything in front of your vehicle. It has a great battery life. It supports loop recording as it is very important to not stop recording once the memory is full.
- Motion and noise detection is possible with this device
- It has a great audio quality
- It has a high storage capacity
- It supports loop recording
- Low priced device (cheap)
- It has a user friendly interface
- Absence of night vision mode
- It does not have built in GPS
- Exposure to too much brightness destroys the quality of picture
WheelWitness HD PRO Dash Cam with GPS – 2K Super HD – 170° Lens – 16GB microSD – Advanced Driver Assistance – For 12V Cars & Trucks – Night Vision Dashboard Camera Ambarella A7LA50 Car Security DVR made it on the third rank due to its great quality. It has additional features like time and date stamp, video playback, Control exposure value (EV), Manual audio control, Exposure Compensation, Screen saver function to power saver, 450 lithium ion battery, foldable bracket for easy storage, cycling recording, USB port, HDMI port.
- Clear and good quality picture
- Super HD recording resolution of 1296p (2304 X 1296)
- Easy plug-in and installation
- G sensor is present
- Loop recording can be done
- It has wide dynamic range option (WDR) which helps record in day as well as night.
- It enables you to view the recording real time
- You can miss on footage if your motion detector and G sensor both are active.
- As per said by the customers the charger fuse burns if the camera records continuously for a longer period of time.
The TaoTronics Car Dash Cam HD 1080P Wide Angle with G-Sensor WDR Night Mode 2.7″ Screen made it to second position on our list due to its attractive price with its good quality. It has good resolution of 1920 X 1080 at 30 fps (frames per second). Apart from video recordings it can also be used to take pictures. It supports multiple languages (English, German, Japanese, French, Italian, and Spanish)
- It is easy to use
- It has superior night vision lenses
- WDR (Wide dynamic range) technology
- Date time Mark is supported
- It supports Loop recording
- G sensor (Accident auto detection feature)
- LCD screen displays live video recordings
- People’s face and vehicle’s license plate can easily be detected.
- It has a powerful microphone which records even all the minute sounds (sound of blinkers, or horns etc.)
- Costumer service is not great
- Performance issues on High temperature
The best Car camera of our list is the KDLINKS X1 Full-HD 1920 x 1080 165 Degree Wide Angle Dashboard Camera Recorder Car Dash Cam with GPS, G-Sensor & WDR Superior Night Mode. It is a 2.7” super slim screen. It has high quality lithium polymer 110 mAh battery
- Best Full HD display
- Good Battery backup
- Auto lock feature is available.
- GPS feature is available
- G Sensor (Accident auto detection feature)
- Good quality night mode vision
- It has widest field of view (out of all the car cams in the market)
- Great customer service is offered by them.
- Does not sit on Dashboard
Before selecting any of the Car Camera, make sure to go through the following points to select the best cam available:
- Need of camera: Before selecting any car cam, it is very important to know the requirement of the cam.
- Decide Budget: Budget acts as an important factor while selecting the best car cam, as the better the budget is the better quality of camera can be selected.
- Warranty of Product: The warranty of the product is an important factor to estimate the durability of the product. Good products will have a good warranty time.
- Quality of Recorder: The recording quality of the camera is the most curtail parameter to decide the best product. The quality of the recorded must be satisfactory if not great. It should support night vision recording.
- Battery life of camera: The better is the battery; the more time of recording will be saved in the camera during the time when car is parked or not in use.
- Storage: Select a camera with good storage capacity to save the recorded data safely into the storage or the SD card of the camera.
- G-Sensor: It helps detect the motions or vibrations or collisions and turns on the recoding if any of these happens in the vehicle.
- Loop recording: It is very important for a camera to keep recording even if the memory is full. So, a good camera will overwrite the oldest recording with the recent one. Hence making loop recording an essential feature.
So, considering all the above factors / points of the buying guide, the KDLINKS X1 stands out to be as the best Car camera which has a great deal of features for such a good price. It has all the necessary features (storage, technology, quality) at a fair price, although, it doesn’t sits on the dashboard of the car but it can be attached to any corner of your car’s windshield. So this makes it the best Car camera available with all the useful features for a valid price range.