Scientific studies have shown that good sleep is an integral part to a healthy life and even more important is how comfortably you sleep. This means not only the length of time but also the bedding you sleep on. Your mattress and your pillow contribute a lot to your sleep and whether a good one or not.
There are different types of sleepers from back sleepers, stomach sleepers and side sleepers. These different sleepers have different pillows.
This article looks at a review of top ten best pillows for back sleepers. Though many people are side sleepers, back sleeping has more benefits because it aids blood circulation and a good distribution of the weight. If you are a back sleeper and you have been wondering about the kind of pillow to buy, worry no more. We are going to give you ten of the best including the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- 10 Best pillow reviews for back sleepers:
- 10. Sleep Innovations Cool Contour Memory Foam Pillow
- 9. Sealy Posturepedic Hypoallergenic Soft Down Pillow
- 8. PharMeDoc Contour Memory Foam Pillow for Side & Back Sleepers
- 7. Bamboo Pillow | Best Pillow for Stomach, Back, and Side Sleepers
- 6. Best Cervical Orthopedic FULLY Adjustable Neck Support Bed Sleeping Pillow
- 5. Sahara Nights Pillow
- 4. Cervical Contour Bed Pillow for Back and Side Sleepers
- 3. My Pillow Premium
- 2. Classic Brands Cool Sleep
- 1. MyFacePillow
10 Best pillow reviews for back sleepers:
The sleep innovations cool contour memory foam pillow offers a therapeutic support and also a cooling comfort. Its contour design gives it the ability to reduce pain and stiffness. For the back sleeper, this pillow will ensure that you wake up feeling good.
· It eases discomfort and prevents pain that may occur due to too much pressure
· It keeps the body in a great alignment as you sleep so that you do not wake up feeling stiff and sore
· Through elevating of the head in order for tissues in the throat not to block the airway, this pillow relieves symptoms of sleep apnea.
· The cool contour layer of this pillow may separate from the other sections of the foam. This happens in some of the products. Apart from that there are no major disadvantages in this brand.
The Sealy Posturepedic Hypoallergenic pillow is 100% cotton, is of soft density and unlikely to cause an allergic reaction because of the technology used in its manufacture. The hypoallergenic feature of this down pillow allows it to prevent any allergies to the sleeper.
· The main highlight of this pillow is the fillings. It does not have a lot of fill and is therefore a soft, puffy and supportive pillow.
· It also has a 230 crisp thread Count made of cotton
· The Sealy Posturepedic Hypoallergenic pillow has a supportive foam core at the center of the pillow.
· This pillow is firm and makes it perfect for back sleepers. This ensures that the neck and head are held in a good and comfortable position.
· One disadvantage of the Sealy Posturepedic Hypoallergenic pillow is the covering. While it is supposed to be cotton, the material however is made of some kind of dense fabric that makes it fell like plastic. The covering feels a bit stiff.
The PharMeDoc Contour pillow reduces tossing and turning at night because it is supportive of the neck and head. It spots a removable pillow so the cleaning of this pillow is easier. It can also be washed severally without wearing or fading out.
· This pillow’s biggest advantage is the varying neck height. The PharMeDoc Contour comes in two neck heights; 4” and ~5” which ease body tension.
· Unlike other pillows, this particular one has a lifetime warranty, something you can’t find with other pillows.
· Some users have reported hurting their ears when they used this pillow. This may be because of using the wrong neck height. Apart from that, there are no other disadvantages.
The Bamboo Pillow, as the name states is made from bamboo but also from polyester.
· Back sleepers find this pillow aligns well to their sleeping style.
· The cover is made of bamboo and can be machine-washed
· The problem with the Bamboo pillow is that it needs to be dried in a dryer for twenty minutes or more in order to activate the foam. Without this, you may not enjoy using it as the foam won’t be active. It is therefore incumbent on the user to remember to dry the pillow.
· Another problem is that the zipper is not covered and is therefore exposed and can be a nuisance.
For the back sleepers who complain of neck pain or headaches when they awake, the Cervical Orthopedic pillow is the answer. This is because it cradles the spine in a neutral position. This therefore alleviates these pains.
· The Cervical Orthopedic pillow is machine washable, resistant to dust mites and also hypoallergenic. The fact that you can wash the pillow with the machine is a good thing because if some pillow types are washed, they become damaged and can’t be used anymore.
· With the Cervical Orthopedic pillow, you can adjust it to the desired firmness making it a custom pillow. This will depend on the comfort ability of the person using it. Some people may want their necks high when sleeping while others prefer to sleep in an almost flat posture. This is a good thing to have in a pillow and the cervical orthopedic offers this very special feature.
· Some users have found the support section to be so low and too soft. Others have also found the head section to be too hard and high. A high section may not provide the much needed section and adjustability can solve the problem. Knowledge of how to adjust this pillow is key to getting the best results.
· After washing, this pillow will require a very long time to dry. This may be a disappointment to some of the users especially if they have only one and the inability to use a machine to dry it.
Sahara Nights Pillow is a long-lasting pillow because of its soft but firm nature. It feels like a down pillow and offers maximum plush comfort.
· In terms of the material used to manufacture, this pillow is 100% cotton shell and with over 233 thread count.
· This pillow has been approved by many top hotels which use it in their rooms and therefore that tells you that it has passed the test of quality.
· It is hypoallergenic and machine-washable.
Some clients have complained about the pillow not being fluffy or dense enough and that it flattens out after a short while.
IshowStore’s therapeutic pillow has a butterfly shape and also comes with both high and low loft. It is 100% Polyurethane and has an ergonomic design with a slow Rebound Memory Foam. It retains its shape and supports the pressure of the sleeper because of its design.
· The zipper allows for the pillow case to be easily removed for washing. A clean pillow is key to the health of the skin. The fact that the pillow case of this pillow can be removed and washed is a plus for this brand because this means that hygiene is maintained.
· The memory foam is anti-bacterial, resistant to dust-mites, friendly to the skin and because of this offers a very comfortable sleeping environment. This feature is very attractive to the back sleeper who seeks extra offerings from the pillow for the sake of their skin and body health.
· Some of its users have expressed concern over its tendency to soften after some time. Many back sleepers will agree that sleeping posture is everything and depends on how the neck and head are positioned during sleep. If the pillow is too flat then it means that the neck and head are not well-elevated as to provide comfort during sleep.
The MyPillow Premium has the interlocking fill feature which can be adjusted to fit the exact needs of the back sleeper. This pillow has four different loft levels to choose from and this ensures that various preferences of the people using it are taken care of. With this pillow, the back sleepers can now fall asleep on their backs with no problem
· This pillow is machine washable and dryable and will not go flat after a short time. These two features ensure hygiene and comfort.
· It is fluffy and is great for neck pain. It soothes both the neck and the head and hence preventing the pain that back sleepers would have felt if they didn’t have the right pillow.
· Another feature that this pillow has is the ability to expand quickly. Upon unwrapping it will expand significantly on its own. This means that it is not going to go flat after a short time.
· Some users of this product have reported the filling to be uncomfortable and lumpy. An uncomfortable pillow is not something that a person suffering from neck, head and back pains would want to have in their bed.
This pillow has been knit with a cool pass fabric and also has plush gel memory foam. Its gusseted side great for the back sleepers and the cool gel ensures that the body heat id dispersed and that a cool sleeping surface is created.
· The Classic Brands Cool Sleep pillow can maintain proper body heat. Some users get disappointed when their pillows heat up and this pillow solves this problem. For back sleepers, this is a particularly passionate feature that is offered by this pillow.
· This pillow has been described as emitting an unpleasant gas. This is due to off-gasing and with time this goes away.
· Some users have also said that this pillow is a bit hard on the neck.
Variou scientific studies have found out that pressure on the face and skin during sleeping leads to formation of wrinkles, aging of the skin and also acne. MyFacePillow addresses this problem because of its hypoallergenic features. Its inner cover is removable and washable. It also comes with a silk case which is also comfortable to sleep on.
· This pillow prevents tossing and turning and is perfect for the back sleeper. As such users will say good bye to neck and lumber pain as they wake up in the morning.
· It has anti-aging, anti-wrinkle and wrinkle prevention capabilities.
· MyFacePillow does not compress enough to accommodate people who are back sleepers and may have fused vertebra in their necks.
Giving a countdown of the ten best pillows for back sleepers is not enough without giving a summary of what one needs to know when buying a pillow, especially if you are a back sleeper. While price is a factor that most shoppers will look at, it is very important to look at the features more than anything else. This is because the comfort of your body as you go to bed contributes to your overall health.
Issues like whether the pillow is hypoallergenic or not, whether it is resistant to dust mites, and also its anti-bacterial capabilities. A pillow that is relatively unlikely to cause an allergic reaction is good for your health. Research shows that various pillows are a breeding ground for allergens, such as dust mites, bacteria, and fungi. Allergies can come from pillows that are made of feathers or even synthetic material.
Other issues to look at include the smell. While the most pillows smell, some of them loose the smell just after a short time, in others the smell may persist for a long time. It is important therefore to ensure that you choose a pillow that will not retain the smell for a very long time.
You also have to look at the softness and firmness of the pillow. Both these things can be achieved by a good pillow. This is because since you sleep on your back, the pillow needs to be firm enough to offer support to your neck but also be adequately soft as to comfortably hold your head in a perfect manner. This is why back sleepers need a pillow that is slightly raised at the front edge to support the neck. A pillow needs to expand on its own and not go flat after a very short time. Some pillows come with warranties and it will be good to obtain one that has in case it doesn’t have the features you are looking for.