Like any other consumer electronic item, projectors have gone leaps and bounds in terms of technology, compactness and user friendliness since its inception. You may remember a bulky and noisy projector placed miles away from the canvas in your classrooms and labs during your school days. Then came more sophisticated lens based projectors which were quite expensive and thus, rare. Now a day, projectors have become a household gadget with ease of use and affordable prices.
Short Throw Projectors
Another technological innovation in this field is the concept of a short throw projector. Usually, you need to place a conventional projector few meters away from the screen. So you would experience shadows of people walking through the room. Also, the room must be of sizable dimensions for the projectors to operate properly. Short throw projectors allow you to place them as close as 3 feet and still get a huge and clear picture.
What to Look For in an Ultra-Short Throw Projector
While choosing an ultra-short throw projector, you must consider the following specifications:
- Lightening Source: Most conventional projectors use fancy light bulbs for illumination of the projected image. However, they eventually burn out after a fixed lifetime of the bulb. If you want to avoid the necessary replacement from time to time, you might opt for projectors using Laser or LED technology.
- Brightness: The image projected should be bright enough so that you may experience a clear and unfazed picture even in brightly lit rooms. To avoid turning off the lights while operating a projector, you must opt for lumen rating of 3000 and above.
- Throw Ratio: It is the ratio of the width of projected image to the distance of the projector from the screen. For Ultra short throw projectors, this value may get as low as 0.38.
This product reviews catalog will help you in choosing an ultra-short throw projector of your dreams.
Top 10 Best Ultra Short Throw Projectors reviews:
- 1 10. iRulu BL20 Video Projector
- 2 9. ViewSonic PJD7828HDL 3200 Lumens 1080p HDMI Home Theater Projector
- 3 8. Optoma GT1080 1080p 3D DLP Gaming Projector
- 4 7. BenQ DLP HD 1080p Projector (W1070)
- 5 5. BenQ DLP HD 1080p Projector (HT2050)
- 6 5. Epson Home Cinema 5040UB 1080p 3D 3LCD Home Theater Projector
- 7 4. DBPOWER T20 1500 Lumens LCD Mini Projector
- 8 3. Epson VS240 SVGA 3LCD Projector 3000 Lumens Color Brightness
- 9 2. Optoma HD142X 1080p 3000 Lumens 3D DLP Home Theater Projector
- 10 1. ViewSonic PJD5155 3300 Lumens SVGA HDMI Projector
As Compared to other high-end projectors, iRulu BL20 is much more compact and light weighted, so easy to carry around. It is small in size and extremely affordable with a nominal price. You will not need an HDMI converter with multiple connectivity ports available on the device. You can get 1080P quality in iRulu BL20 1080P HD 3D Projector. The image is quite bright for such an inexpensive package, having 2600 lumen bulb. With a very short throw distance, you can get a 32-inch display by placing the projector as close to 1 1/4 meters. In this price range, it is rare to find a LED bulb used for lighting. This model employs a long lasting LED bulb which saves you from replacing the expensive, burned out fancy bulbs.
- Caters for almost all types of file types in all genre
- Available in different color casings
- A good option for dorms and movie nights
- A little noisy when the fan is on after continuous use.
When talking of value in projectors market, ViewSonic is the brand that comes to mind. It offers decent machines with prices not too extravagant at all. This model has a sleek and stylish outlook which adds to the room décor. With brightness up to 3200 lumens combined with 1.3X optical zoom, this projector offers one of the brightest projected displays in the market. The Xdark chip allows the dynamic contrast capability, so you don’t need to adjust when a lamp is turned on in the room and enjoy 1080p crystal clear image. It offers multiple connectivity options and comes with a handy remote control. The unique cable management hood gets rid of the unwanted bunch of dangling wires when it is mounted on the roof.
- Excellent reproduction of colors
- Full HD picture projected with complete detail
- No worries of ambient light with sharp brightness on offer
- Black detail is not accurately projected
- IR receiver only on the front
Technology development in projector market is the specialty when it comes to Optoma. Their projectors are employed with satisfactory results in schools, offices, and homes. Optoma GT1080 comes with a decent look, but a large fish eye-like lens on the front catches the eye. The external design is just like any other mainstream projector, saving you from unpredictability. With input ports on the left and buttons on the top, you will also get the luxury of a remote. Offering both long and short throw options, you can get a display of 166 inches at 6 feet and 111 inches at 4 feet distance from the screen. You need three times the distance for such a humungous projection.
- Specially designed for gamers with lower input lag
- Fantastic sharpness and detail due to Darbee processing technology
- Remarkable color performance
- Rainbow effect and a limited range of zoom
- Inefficient dynamic black system
Gone are those days when budget projectors were small sized and low power machines, compromising on many aspects to keep the price low. The high performance and smart projectors are becoming better and cheaper as is the case for BenQ W1070. This model is sophisticated enough to fit in a man bag, and still, offers 3D projection and onboard speakers along with an exceptional image quality and excellent colors. You can get the best black levels in the given price and gives you the best value for your money. With ports on the rare and buttons on the top, it comes with a remote. The 10-watt onboard speaker and 2000 lumens brightness add to the long list of features of this excellent model.
- Built in speaker in an inexpensive deal
- Excellent picture quality offered at such price
- Good black levels and extraordinary color accuracy
- Great 3D playback option
- No 3D glasses in the package(each costing 99$)
- 3D feature works only with 144Hz glasses
The home entertainment systems are desirable to weigh lighter for those who need to move them around. If you’re not among such people, then this power-packed machine is ideal for you. It shows remarkably lesser rainbow artifacts than most of the other DLP projectors. With 2200 lumens of brightness enough for home theater applications, it also offers low brightness eco mode which is more suitable for smaller screen sizes. It has 1.3X optical zoom for optimum picture clarity and offers vertical lens shift which can adjust your screen position by about 4.5% of the original.
- Full HD resolution in both 2D and 3D
- Vertical lens shift enough for most of the cases
- Better Sound quality of built-in speakers
- Short lag time and ignorable rainbow artifacts
- No 3D glasses included
- Rainbow artifacts more evident in black and white video
This one is truly state-of-the-art home theater projector offered by Epson. For those who want the high-end product while getting the best out of the hard earned money, this ultra-short throw projector is the way to go. The brightness upgraded from the previous versions to 2500 lumens. The lens has 2.1:1 zoom along with the lens memory. It is motorized and allows the adjustments to focus, zoom and lens shift. By employing pixel-shifting, it produces four megapixel images on the screen. So the support available for 4k content makes this model a standout product.
- Automatic lens lid closure
- Extremely low noise operation
- Electronic lens shift with automatic zoom
- Size is Humungous, while its only available white color makes the most of it
- Wireless HDMI software in not user-friendly
If you are looking for a pocket-sized rocket for a projector, then DBPOWER has launched one for you. It is a pretty simple and compact design weighing just over two pounds. With an inbuilt memory card reader, it also has IR sensors both on the front and at the rear for better usability of the remote. Being an ultra-short throw projector, you can place it as close as 2 ½ feet from the screen and obtain a perfect view. The speaker is built in, which has more than enough capability for a small-sized projector. The lamp has an impressive 50,000 hours lifetime, so no need of a replacement for more than five years.
- 50% more bright than other LED projectors of this class
- Noise suppression to cut the fan noise
- You can connect it to your smartphone or iPad using HDMI dongle for excellent home entertainment experience
- No Bluetooth connectivity
- Short power cable, so you may need an extension cable
This model looks like a little larger than other projectors mainly due to the white casing, but it has a clean and conventional design with a strong outlook. The highlighting feature of this revolutionary device is the towering brightness rating of 3000 lumens, both for color and white parts of the projected image. Epson known for its user-friendly projector designs offers the same convenience and easy setup time for this model. It has an array of media connectivity options including HDMI so that it can support almost all the latest media players.
- 10,000 lamp hours saves you from expensive lamp replacements
- Portability maximized with the light weight design
- You can turn it off instantly with quick power down feature
- No optical zoom and 3D capability
- No carrying case offered in the package
With a nominal budget at your disposal, you will find it difficult to get high-end brightness along with an exceptional picture quality and contrast. This is achieved quite intelligently in this projector. With the maximum output of 3000 lumens, it also offers 23,000:1 contrast ratio at the rate of 24 frames per second. So the brightness equally applies to all the projected colors and exhibits an exquisite image quality. There is an eco-mode introduced for the lamp to increase its life span. It also offers a full 3D display which is experienced using 3D glasses.
- Great value for money
- Good overall performance
- Remote control with backlight
- The installation features are limited
The first look of this projector with modest price tag gives you a feel of an expensive device due to a professional finish exhibiting the look of brushed aluminum. It can connect to almost any kind of media with multiple input ports with different protocols. The projector supports a resolution of 720p and offers 1280 X 800 image size. Surprisingly, it also enables you to project 3D movies with active glasses. In such an inexpensive device, you can enjoy a staggering 3200 lumens of brightness. Being an ultra-short throw projector, you can place it 3 1/3 feet and enjoy an incredible visual experience.
- Precise and realistic colors either bright or dark, projected
- No need of stereo system with loud and clear built-in audio
- Energy efficient and smart power saving machine
- Lies in between the high-end and low-cost projectors; a difficult choice for a consumer
While choosing an ultra-short throw projector, don’t fall for technical jargon or showy features. To make a well-informed decision, you must understand your requirements and the nature of the environment and conditions in which you will be operating your projector. Without prior analysis of your needs, you may end up confused with almost infinite projectors available off the shelf. Also compare the price tag with features and specifications on offer in order to access the original value of the product. We hope that this review guide will help you in finding the projector of your dreams.