Zero turn mowers have become exceedingly popular in the market today due to their ease of use, great maneuverability, and efficiency.
You can now mow the lawns in almost half the time with Zero turn mowers as compared to time-consuming traditional Lawn mowers.
Push Mowers demand a lot of physical activity and strength from the user, which is not very reliable in long term use.
And so, to overcome this misery, Manufacturers have now offered several Latest Zero turn mowers with radical features to provide the finest premium cut in minimal time.
What exactly is this Zero turn mower? It is a machine that has Zero turning radius, meaning it can instantly turn right on its point.
Most of the zero turn mowers have two Lap bars on the front and also come with two individual transmissions for the rear wheels. Each transmission is controlled by its corresponding lap bar. These Lap bars are used to move the mower in forward, backward, left or right direction. Individual transmission is what allows the wheels for its zero turn radius.
Zero Turn Mowers work very proficiently in tackling obstacles and cutting around shrubs or bushes.
There are also some models that are offered in traditional ride-on steering type of design. Gas Pedal is used to control forward and backward movement of such machine.
Let’s get into the comprehensive reviews of some of the Best Zero turn Mowers for hills available in the market.
- 1 Best Zero turn Mowers Reviews:
- 1.1 1. Husqvarna 967324101 Zero Turn Mower – Best Lap Bar Mower for Residential use
- 1.2 2. Poulan Pro 967331001 P54ZX Zero Turn Radius Riding Mower – Best for Light-duty mowing
- 1.3 3. Husqvarna MZ61 – Best commercial-grade Mower
- 1.4 4. Snapper P2185020E / 7800982 – Best Walk behind Mower for Small scale use
- 1.5 5. Troy-Bilt TB330 – Best Budget-Friendly Lawn mower for the money
- 1.6 6. Honda HRX217K5VKA Versamow System Lawn Mower – Best Versatile Machine for hills
- 1.7 7. Husqvarna 960430211 YTA18542 Tractor Mower – Best Ride-on Mower for hills & Slope
- 1.8 8. Ariens Zoom Zero Turn Lawn Mower – Best to mow hills with obstacles
- 1.9 9. Poulan Pro P46ZX Zero Turn Radius Riding Mower – Best for small-scale use
- 2 Ultimate Buying Guide of Zero Turn Mowers for hills:
Best Zero turn Mowers Reviews:
1. Husqvarna 967324101 Zero Turn Mower – Best Lap Bar Mower for Residential use
Husqvarna group is a well-established Manufacturer of Lawn mowers, and it has launched several powerful models in its Zero Turn Mower range. Out of which, today we’re reviewing newly released Husqvarna 967324101 Zero Turn Mower. First of all, it has been powered with B&S (Briggs and Stratton) endurance engine along with an electric clutch for easy and convenient blade engagement. The 724cc V-twin engine with 24HP can powerfully mow hilly region of your lawn. It has a fairly wide cutting deck reinforced into it that measures up to 54 inches.
Husqvarna 967324101 is pretty powerful machine featuring 4 anti-scalp rollers. The cutting deck has been reinforced with exceptional steel alloy blades delivering great strength, durability, flexibility, and smoothness while cutting. For 360° rotation, this model’s front wheel has been incorporated with a control lever. As for transmission, it has got Dual hydro-gear EZT transmission system.
Husqvarna 967324101 weighs about 598 pounds, which is quite heavy as compared to other average models in the market today. On a positive note, this heavyweight will prevent the mower from skidding. What’s the best feature about this model? The air is sucked from bottom as well as top of the cutting deck, thereby perfecting grass lift and providing the finest cut. Spring-assisted deck lift system allows extreme ease of use. Not just that, the Automatic Park brake system makes this machine a breeze to use!
• 24HP Powerful engine can mow thick and high grass proficiently
• Easy to assemble and use
• Backed with 3 years of limited warranty period
• Comes with a control lever for 360° rotation
• Includes upgraded features like guard for rear engine, anti-slip foot area, bumper with LED headlights included and automatic Park brake system
• No roll-over protection provided
2. Poulan Pro 967331001 P54ZX Zero Turn Radius Riding Mower – Best for Light-duty mowing
Poulan Pro, being a part of Husqvarna group, shares similar features with its Parent company’s model. Powered by similar 24HP of Briggs & Stratton V-twin Pro engine, this machine offers impeccable smoothness, great performance, and durability. It features 3.5 gallons of Fuel tank, 54 inches of stamped cutting deck and dual wheel hydro gear EZT transmission. The cutting deck carries 10 years of impressive warranty.
You can now control each wheel individually while mowing; you can move back, forth, right or left just by controlling two foam-padded levers. Some other remarkable features in this Poulan Pro P54ZX model includes 6 position Height adjustment for cutting that ranges from 1.5” to 4”, a digital hour meter to keep track, 15” of high seat for comfortable mowing experience and 4 anti-scalp rollers. The wide 3-bladed Steel cutting deck delivers superior cut all throughout. Top speed obtainable with Poulan Pro is up to 6mph that can capably cut about 2.8 acres per hour. With all these features, it is recommended to use Poulan Pro P54ZX as a light-duty mower viz. it is a great homeowner-grade Zero turn mower. It is one among the best rated zero turn residential mowers.
• 3 years of limited Homeowner warranty
• Powerful B&S 24HP Pro engine with 3.5 gallons of fuel capacity delivers good performance
• 54” of wide cutting deck with 3 blades
• Adjustable cutting height- From 1.5” to 4”
• No roll over protection
• No headlights
3. Husqvarna MZ61 – Best commercial-grade Mower
Husqvarna MZ61 is an advanced and slightly better version of above mentioned Husqvarna 967324101 model. It has got exceptionally wide 61” of fabricated cutting deck with 3-blade cutting system integrated into it.
All of the 3 blades are constructed from 100% stainless steel and are fairly resistant to rust. MZ61 is powered with 27HP B&S V-twin Endurance Engine which is extremely powerful and can perform heavy-duty mowing tasks such as cutting large lawns, hilly terrains, etc.
Hydrostatic Gear transmission delivers smoothness, which is very desirable while mowing hilly regions. With 5 gallons of fuel capacity, 8.5mph of top speed while moving forward and 5mph of speed while in reverse, you can mow large lawns in no time. And, the 360-degree cutting tool is like an added bonus.
High seat installed in MZ61 is very comfy with 2 armrests provided for easy-going mowing experience. Cutting deck lift has pedal-assisted mechanism for convenient cutting. Seeing all of the remarkable features and heavy-duty steel frame, MZ61 is high-priced but also offers high durability and performance. And so, it is one of the Best commercial-grade mowers available for the year 2017.
• Perfect for mowing large residential lawns (3+ acres)
• Cutting deck with 3-blade system is capable of mulch as well as bagging.
• Adjustable height of cutting deck from 1.5” to 4.5”
• Powerful engine, advanced hydrostatic gear offers smooth operation.
• Responsive user-interface and 8 mph of high-speed cutting.
• Sturdy steel frame and steel deck assure durability.
• It weighs about 776 pounds preventing it from skidding.
• At such a high price, there’s no roll over protection system provided
• No headlights
• Not ideal for more than 10° of slopes
4. Snapper P2185020E / 7800982 – Best Walk behind Mower for Small scale use
Looking for a budget-friendly Walk-behind mower? Snapper introduces this self-propelled Lawn mower for cutting hilly regions with about 10 degrees of slope. With variable speeds, 7 different height adjustments for cutting deck and rear wheel drive, Snapper Lawn mower would work great as a light-duty mower for residential lawns.
HI-VAC Technology with high-power motor sucks the grass up real fast. Whereas, the B&S 190cc Pro Series Engine features an Electric Starting system, so you need not worry about priming or choking whatsoever. And, it’s a rear-wheel drive mower, meaning it will offer great traction, whereas the smooth-turn differential provides ease of maneuvering.
The 21” of cutting deck with rolled edge, unique blade and HI VAC cuts and sucks grass competently to give a clean finish. The exclusive 3-in-1 mower is capable of bagging, mulching as well as side discharge. Adjustment handle provided allows you to change the height of the cut from 1.25 inches to 4 inches.
• Comparatively low-priced
• Perfect for small residential lawns
• Motor and VAC are extremely powerful and create great suction
• 8.5 B&S 190cc engine is strong enough to cut 8” to 10” of tall grass
• Self-propelling speed can be controlled
• Hard to assemble; Instructions and diagrams are under provided
• Somewhat heavyweight
5. Troy-Bilt TB330 – Best Budget-Friendly Lawn mower for the money
Available in half the price as that of Snapper Self-propelled mower, this Troy-Bilt TB330 Lawn mower is ideal for steep hills. This walk-behind mower is driven by 163cc Briggs and Stratton OHV engine with ReadyStart Technology for quick and easy mowing; you just need to pull up and you are set to go! Rear-wheel drive mower has a fair amount of horsepower to let you cut through the hills and hold its traction well. 6 height adjustments for cutting allows you to set the height from 1.25” to 3.75” as per your choice.
TB330 features 4 top speed settings for customized control via single Lever. 21 inches of TriAction cutting deck system features a rake bumper to lift the grass vertically, a unique sharp blade that mulches finely and a symmetrically designed deck for higher grass suction. This complete system will leave no patches on your lawn. Moreover, it has been integrated with premium deck wash for ease of cleaning. The 3-in-1 design is capable of mulching, bagging and side discharging. For rear bagging, it comes with 1.9 bushel capacity of grass catching bag.
The ergonomically designed adjustable handle allows ease of use, whereas 8” of front and rear wheels are high in performance in hilly areas. TB330 comes all-included with 3 years of limited warranty period. Fuel tank capacity of this machine is 1.09 quart. If you are looking for best zero turn mower for the money, then go for it.
• 3-in-1 mulching capabilities and 6 settings for cutting height adjustment
• Self-propelled mower with ReadyStart technology; No priming
• Cutting deck system is of premium quality
• Comes with a deck wash system which is very handy
• Needs no oil changing; you just need to add oil in the machine
• All the wheels are of same size i.e. 8”- you need to mow carefully
• Might not be as durable as high-end mowers, considering its low-price
6. Honda HRX217K5VKA Versamow System Lawn Mower – Best Versatile Machine for hills
Yet another Walk-behind type of mower by Honda comes with its revolutionary Versamow system that allows you to mulch, discharge, bag as well as shred grass efficiently. Not just that, you can even combine mulching and bagging, thanks to the Clip director knob provided. Here you get to decide how much grass is being mulched or bagged, without requiring any kind of expensive attachments or tools whatsoever.
187 cc gasoline-powered GCV engine with an easy-starting system (pull-start) allows reliable, flexible and durable use. Honda HRX217K5VKA includes speed adjustment dial which you need to rotate and then engage the ‘Select Drive’ control for extremely responsive and customized speed control of your mower. Twin blade MicroCut system has been amalgamated with 4 cutting surfaces that deliver extremely fine grass clippings. 21 inches of cutting deck has been crafted from NeXite material, which has high-impact resistance, thereby is rust-free, corrosion-free, fairly durable and does not dent at all.
Honda rear-wheel drive mower includes a remarkable 5 years of warranty period. It is expensive for a walk-behind type of mower, but is powerful enough to cut residential lawns adeptly.
• Ideal for mowing height range of about 4”
• Select Drive control is a great feature
• Allows mulching, bagging or even combination of both
• Durable and sharp cutting system
• Easy to start
• Lever for lifting deck is too small
• Does not have a deck wash system
7. Husqvarna 960430211 YTA18542 Tractor Mower – Best Ride-on Mower for hills & Slope
If you fancy ride-on Tractor Mowers better as compared to other types of machines, then try this Husqvarna 960430211 YTA18542 Mower that comes with a steering wheel mechanism. Mowing steep Hills can be really difficult if you have a machine that lacks in power and transmission. This tractor features Fast auto transmission to keep you safe while mowing.
18.5 horsepower curbed in this mower operates with ease. Whenever you take off your foot from the pedal, the machine will automatically stop and this is why such Tractor mowers are known to be more intuitive to use on hills.
Deck wash port provided here allows you to link your water hose with the bottom of the cutting deck for easy and convenient cleaning, whenever you wish. Spring-assisted cutting deck lever allows ease of operation to the rider. Air Induction moving Technology stimulates airflow inside the cutting deck, thereby providing a clean cut every time.
The 42 inches of 13-gauge cutting deck, constructed from Steel, offers superior performance and fine cut. The auto transmission utilized here is pedal controlled, which is why it demands less power to drive and more power to mow.
This Husqvarna Tractor Mower includes 3 years of limited warranty along with 5 years of warranty on frame/chassis.
• Fast auto transmission works great on hilly areas (recommended up to 15° of slope)
• Wide cutting deck of 42” delivers precise cuts
• Comes with a deck wash port, which is very desirable
• Ride-on mower is pretty easy to control and use
• Not for very steep hills
8. Ariens Zoom Zero Turn Lawn Mower – Best to mow hills with obstacles
For those of you who are looking for an averagely priced, yet powerful Zero Turn Lawn Mower must consider the Ariens Zoom Zero Turn Mower. Driven by 19HP 660cc Kohler 6000 Series V-twin engine, this machine works impeccably for small to medium-sized lawns. With its 34” wide cutting deck and EZT transmission, it can easily move around any obstacles that come your way.
Two lap bars on the front are padded with foam for the rider’s comfort. Besides, all the controls and levers for operating the machine are easily accessible to the user. Just by looking at the aesthetics and ergonomic factors of this mower, you will certainly feel that it is no joke! Sturdily built frame, powerful engine and smooth transmission allows for fine mowing experience.
• Works great for 2 acres of lawns with any obstacles
• Powerful engine
• Easy to operate and handy interface
• Durable design
• No headlights provided
• No roll over protection system
• Height of the seat might seem to be too small
9. Poulan Pro P46ZX Zero Turn Radius Riding Mower – Best for small-scale use
Poulan Pro P46ZX Zero turn mower is like a mini version of above mentioned Poulan Pro P54ZX model. Most of the features being same and priced almost similarly, these Poulan Pro models are deliberately made for small to medium-scale applications. Powered with 22HP of Briggs and Stratton V-twin Pro engine along with Hydro gear EZT transmission, this machine can adroitly mow up to 2.4 acres of lawn per hour.
Featuring 46” of Stamped Reinforced Cutting deck, the P46ZX has forward top speed of up to 6mph. This cutting deck has been backed with 10 years of warranty period. Also, it has been integrated with Electric clutch for suitable gear engagement.
With 3.5 gallons of fuel tank capacity, durable caster wheels and welded sturdy frame, this mower delivers great performance for a long-lasting period. Seat for the rider is up to 15” high for comfortable riding. You also get to adjust the height of cut to 6 different positions ranging from 1.5” to 4”.
• 46” cutting deck has 2-bladed system for fine cuts
• 3 years of limited homeowner warranty included
• Comes with a digital hour meter to keep track of the mowing
• Strong engine and EZT transmission works great on small to medium lawns.
• Deck is poorly designed
• No headlights
• No roll over protection system
Ultimate Buying Guide of Zero Turn Mowers for hills:
Zero Turn Lawn Mowers are known for their maneuverability and efficiency in operation. Zero turn lawn mowers are generally recommended to be used on hilly regions that do not have more than 10 degree to 15 degree of slope.
Operating Zero turn mowers on steeper angles than this, with lack of wheel traction and speed control, might cause you to slip or rollover the lawn, which is very dangerous.
The safest option for mowing a hilly lawn would be Ride-on Mowers and Self-propelled Walk-behind Mowers. Some models are deliberately designed to work on steeper hills and are much safer than Zero turn mowers.
Let’s see what are all the factors you need to consider or look-for in Lawn Mowers for hills.
• Comfort level: Some Lawn Mowers come with high seats, whereas others are incorporated with petite bucket-style seats. Always make sure to check whether the seat would feel comfortable to your body dimensions and then make the decision of purchase.
• HP: The horsepower of the Lawn mowers plays a vital role in deciding whether it will deliver superior performance or not. If you have small Lawn area like residential lawns then 16HP to 18HP of Lawn mower would be acceptable. For medium-sized lawns, you need to look for 20HP to 22HP. And, for large or commercial-grade lawns, you need a machine with more than 25HP.
• Size of the cutting deck: After you have figured out the Power factor, next important thing you need to consider is the cutting deck size. Different manufacturers provide different cutting deck sizes ranging anything from 36” to as high as 66”of width. If you have 0.5-1 acre of lawn, then you can go for 42-45”of cutting deck. For 2 to 3 acres of lawn, you need to choose a model that has 48” to 58” of cutting deck. And for anything greater than 4 acres, look for above 60” of cutting deck. If the lawn is too sloping, you might want to consider small cutting deck as the mower will be much easier to maneuver.
• Blades: Number of blades that are integrated at the inner side of the cutting deck also plays an important role in the fineness of cut. If the surface of the lawn is flat and even, then the 2-bladed system would be just fine. For lawns that have thick grass with several obstacles, you might want to look for 3 to 4 bladed system.
• Type of transmission: If you are looking for smooth riding experience, you can go for hydrostatic transmission. Whereas, if the mowing requires too much speed changes and extra maneuvering then you might want to go for automatic transmission which is much faster.
• Wheel drive: Rear-wheel drive is much better than front-wheel drive for mowing over sloped areas (not more than 15°). If the rear wheels are taller than the front wheels, then the traction provided is pretty great- which is much rooted-for while cutting hilly lawns.
Apart from these important factors, you also need to consider some crucial things such as ease of use, intuitiveness of the controls, accessibility of various levers, safety features like seat belt, roll over protection system, anti-slip foot area, deck wash system and precise steering mechanism is what you need to look for.
Technically speaking, best and safest Lawn mower for hills would be hands-down self-propelled type of machines. Considering all of its amazing features, Snapper HI VAC self-propelled lawn mower has to be our best pick amongst all the others. It is an impeccable Best mower for hills as it has excellent traction, features rear-wheel drive and also comes with smooth-turn differential for ease of maneuvering.
If you are looking for Lap-bars type of Lawn mower, then you might want to consider Husqvarna MZ61, as it is a very advanced machine that comes with extraordinary features. It has got 3-bladed cutting system with 61” of cutting deck and a very powerful 27HP V-twin Endurance engine. This machine is highly recommended for heavy-duty mowing jobs. Hydrostatic gear transmission is what adds the kicker to its smooth performance.
And lastly, if you just have to have a Ride-on Lawn Mower then you can check out the Husqvarna 960430211 YTA18542 Tractor Mower, which comes with fast auto transmission and fairly wide 42” cutting deck, ideal for small to medium-scale lawns.